Today I went for lunch at Crepe Affaire in Spittalfields market with some friends. I have been interested to check out a fellow pancake company, but worried that they would be running their business exactly as I intend to run mine, leaving me no room to improve on their offering. Luckily I was left a little disappointed by my lunch.
* Overpriced – crepes were about £5 each, even for just plain chocolate. Seemed a bit pricey and you paid 80p extra to eat in, yet the dine in experience was poor.
* Poor dine in experience – paper plates, plastic cutlery & cardboard coffee cups
* Limited menu – particularly the savoury options. Very few vegetarian options and all had cheese in. No houmous and roast veg!
* Crepes weren’t particularly fresh, and none were being cooked straight from batter in front of you. Also quite thin and brittle round the edges, and covered in butter before filled which seemed unnecessary and unhealthy.
* Badly organised cafe – given a buzzer to let you know when your order was ready but had to lean over the table and counter to exchange this for your crepe when it was ready. Also, didn’t realise they sold drinks, milkshakes and even alcoholic beverages when ordering as you don’t go past these to pay. Not a lot of room to sit down either so end up eating quite quickly. You couldn’t while away a few hours there.
Nice outdoor seating area
Good cardboard crepe pocket if you’re taking away
All in all, I thought that the food was tasty but the brand offered quite a different experience to what I am looking to do. It was more fast food than fine dining, and far too expensive. I plan on having a much broader and more innovative menu, and making it much more friendly and personal.
Comments will be approved before showing up.