Blueberry Pancake Cupcakes. It’s got the word ‘cake’ twice in the name so we knew we were on to a winner! This is by far the most fun we’ve had experimenting in the kitchen. Ever. Well… maybe it’s on a par with some unexpected peanut butter/Nutella concoction.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MAGICAL PANCAKE CUPCAKES
- 125g soft butter
- 275g caster sugar
- 1 large egg or 2 small
- 1 egg white
- 175g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 200ml sour cream
- 50ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100-200g blueberries (depending on how fruity you’re feeling)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together with a wooden spoon
- Gradually add the eggs and the egg white to the mixture mixing slowly until fully incorporated
- Grab another bowl and sieve in the flour then add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside for uno secondo.
- Grab a measuring jug and put the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract in there. Again, set aside.
- So you’ve got your 3 bowls – the butter sugar mixture, the flour mixture and the milk mixture. Add the flour and milk mixtures to the butter sugar mixture gradually – adding a bit of one then mixing and then a bit of the other. Keep going until it is all mixed but try not to over work the mixture as we want it nice and light so that the pancake cupcakes can rise to giant heights.
- Carefully stir in the blueberries.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 large cupcake cases. Fill the cupcake cases leaving a small gap at the top of each one and bake until they have risen up. When they’re done, a skewer or knife inserted should come out clean (around 18 minutes).
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DELUSHIOUS MAPLE BUTTERCREAM
- 65g soft butter
- 100g cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp maple flavouring
- 300g icing sugar
- To go from cupcake to awesomecake, make some Maple Buttercream. Beat the butter and cream cheese with a wooden spoon then add the icing sugar and mix.
- Add the maple flavouring. If you don’t have maple flavouring then sub with vanilla or put in some maple syrup to taste – if this makes your buttercream too runny then just add some more icing sugar.
- Pop in a piping bag and pipe onto the pancake cupcakes once they’re cool. Decorate with more blueberries and a sprinkle of sugar.