An easy American pancakes recipe for those looking to make American Pancakes from scratch. These homemade pancake says ‘I’m a seize the day kind of person’ – find something tasty and chuck it in your batter – chocolate chips, blueberries, anything goes! These are the perfect fluffy pancakes for a midnight feast.
- 175g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 250g Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Melted Butter
Whisk up your Batter
- First add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and sugar to a large mixing bowl
- In another bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. If you are adding any flavourings such as vanilla extract or peppermint extract, add these in now,
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined. If you want to add a filling like blueberries or chocolate chips, chuck it in now and give the mixture a stir.
Cooking your Pancakes
- Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat. Add a little butter and allow to melt
- Add a large spoon of mixture to your pan – two tablespoons of batter will make around 8 large pancakes, or use one tablespoon of batter for small pancakes.
- Use the back of a spoon to smooth the pancake into a circle shape as it cooks. Let the underside cook until lightly coloured – you should see small bubbles appearing on the surface.
- Turn the pancake with your spatula and cook the other side until lightly coloured.
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and keep them warm in the oven if needs be.
- No buttermilk? No problem. Milk is fine but for best results add a squeeze of lemon to the milk and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before using.