Vanilla custard may hold memories of school canteens but with some rich flavours and a bit of patience, you’ll end up with something creamy and delicious.
The perfect pancake topping, especially for our deliciously sweet rhubarb crepes.
- 250ml milk
- 25ml Single Cream
- ½ Vanilla Pod or ½ tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 15g Caster Sugar or 10g Dextrose Sugar
- Measure out the milk and cream, and put in a pan to simmer over a low heat. If using a vanilla pod, add this to the pan too, along with the grated nutmeg.
- Whilst the milk and cream are heating, whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl. Add the sugar and whisk again until combined.
- Once the milk mixture is heated through, carefully remove the vanilla pod. Then pour the mixture over the eggs and whisk with a fork.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and thicken over a low heat. Patience grasshopper, don’t boil your mixture otherwise you’ll end up with scrambled eggs, not custard!
- Once thickened, enjoy with pancakes!