Blueberries and blue cheese may come from opposite ends of the sweet-savoury spectrum but that doesn’t mean they don’t make the perfect partners for a pancake!
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 250g Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 300g Fresh Blueberries
- 3 tbsp Marsala (Optional)
- 1.5 tbsp Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 50g Creamy Blue Cheese (e.g. Gorgonzola)
- Place the blueberries into a saucepan along with the Marsala, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Simmer gently until you have a syrup that will pour easily.
- Weigh out the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, separate the egg white from the egg yolk and whisk the egg white until pale and full of fine frothy bubbles.
- Add the egg white and the egg yolk to the flour, along with the buttermilk, and gently whisk to combine. Add the milk to loosen the mixture if needs be.
- Pour in half of your blueberry syrup and crumble in the blue cheese. Again, whisk gently to combine.
- To cook your pancakes, heat some butter in a pan over a medium-high heat and add a large tablespoon of batter.
- Smooth into a circle shape with the back of a spoon and allow to cook.
- Once the underside of the pancake is golden brown, and you see bubbles on the surface of the uncooked side, carefully flip your pancake with a spatula and cook the other side.
- Serve with the remainder of your blueberry syrup.