Rum and Coconut Pancakes. So much better than rum pancakes or coconut pancakes. The beauty is in the combo. This pancake says ‘I’d give anything to be on a desert island right now’. Use any rum but we like Malibu as it’s not too strong and has a lovely sweet taste – these are the perfect pancakes for a sunny bank holiday.
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Demerara Sugar
- 8 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 1 Egg
- 250g Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Malibu
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
Whisk up your Batter
- First sieve the flour into a bowl. Add in the baking powder, salt, sugar and coconut and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and add the egg and buttermilk. Whisk until combined.
- Add a tablespoon of Malibu and grate in the zest of 1/2 a lime. Stir gently.
Cooking your Pancakes
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add a little butter and allow to melt.
- Add a large spoon of mixture to your pan – use the back of a spoon to smooth the pancake into a circle shape as it cooks. Let the underside cook until lightly coloured – you should see small bubbles appearing on the surface.
- Flip the pancake with your spatula and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Stack the pancakes on a plate and keep them warm in the oven if needs be.
- Serve these pancakes with our delicious Malibu Rum Syrup and some fresh pineapple.